Late Phillip Hughes Laid To Rest

Gregory Hughes pictured very emotional as he carried his son's coffin into his funeral on December 3rd. Phil Hughes died on November 27th two days after he was struck in the back of the neck by a ball during a cricket game in Sydney, Australia. He died just three days to his 26th birthday.

The funeral was attended by over 1,000 people including many national and sporting dignitaries as well as the Prime Minister of Australia, Tony Abbott. It was also broadcast live on Australian TV.

His mum

Late Phillip Hughes

Tambuwal, Ambode, Elrufai & Others Win APC Governorship Ticket


The All Progressives Congress (APC) on Thursday, held its gubernatorial primaries in different states across the country.

Here are the winners, as reported by Tribune:

Lagos State – Akinwunmi Ambode
Akwa Ibom State – Umana Okon Umana
Oyo State – Abiola Ajimobi
Sokoto state – Aminu Tambuwal
Delta State – Otega Omerhor
Enugu State – Okey Ezea
Nasarawa State –  Tanko Al-makura
Kaduna State – Nasir El-Rufai
Kwara State –  Abdulfattah Ahmed
Taraba State -Aisha Jummai Al-Hassan
Ogun state –  Ibikunle Amosun
Yobe State – Ibrahim Gaidam
Rivers state – Dakuku Peterside

Congratulations to all the winners.

Gen. Muhammadu Buhari’s Family in New Photoshoot

Former head of state and 2015 presidential aspirant, Muhammadu Buhari’s family look so adorable and cute in their new photo shoot.

(Bottom-row-From-left): Safina Buhari, Mrs Aisha Buhari, Halima Buhari Sheriff,(top-row-from-right), Noor & Mohammed Sheriff

Safina Buhari with her kids

Mrs Aisha Buhari

Mohammed Sheriff with wife, Halima Buhari Sheriff
Halima Buhari Sheriff and Daughter

Baby suffocates to death while sleeping in between his parents

A 6-week-old baby named Noah Pearson (pictured above), suffocated to death in his sleep after being deprived of oxygen while sleeping in between his parent in bed at their home in Bradford, in West Yorkshire.

According to the UK Telegraph, Noah's parents, Paul Pearson 24 and Emily Lambert 22, had left him with his grandmother while they went out with friends for drinks for the first time in a year. They returned at about 3.30am the following day drunk but still took their baby from the grandmother...

Noah's father took him into their room to sleep in his Moses basket which was placed by his side of their bed. But when Noah started to cry around 5am, his father took him from the Moses basket and brought him into the bed he shared with his partner and placed him between them.

When the couple woke up at about 8.50am, they found blood coming out from Noah's nostrils. He was immediately taken to the Bradford Royal hospital where test showed he died from Sudden Infant Death syndrome after being deprived of oxygen.

At an inquest, a doctor warned of the dangers of parents sleeping with their babies as a coroner said a contributary factor in Noah's death on May 31 was "co-sleeping and parental alcohol consumption".

Consultant paediatrician Dr Eduardo Moya told the hearing that the parents' decision to co-sleep with their baby and having consumed alcohol that night may have contributed to their baby's death. He said baby Noah was found to have a minor rhino virus, akin to a nose cold.

Dr Moya said:
"The not deliberate and unfortunate set of circumstances is well-documented - bed sharing with parents combined with alcohol consumption. Furthermore one or both of the parents did smoke and that could be a contributory factor as that baby had a rhino viral infection. There are a series of risk factors that increase the likelihood of having SIDS. One reason bed sharing is considered dangerous is that one parents could roll on to the infant in the middle of the night."
"This was a tragedy and there is nobody as fault but I believe it is important to know the etymology of SIDS. These are contributory factors because we don't know the ultimate cause of SIDS. I pass my condolences on to the family. It was clear to me when I went to see them that nobody did anything wrong or deliberate. It was an unfortunate tragedy."

Source: UK Telegraph

States of Jersey to Return £315 Million Abacha Loot to Nigeria

General Sani Abacha - Bella Naija

The States of Jersey the biggest territory in the Channels Island is set to return £ 315 million Abacha loot to Nigeria.

Micheal Birt, the Ballif of Jersey stated this at a dinner in honour of Dalhatu Tafida, Nigerian High Commissioner to the UK during a State visit to the Island.

Birt who doubles as the Island’s Civic Head of State and ceremonial head is the highest ranking official in the Jersey order of precedence.

It will be recalled that the Island famous for its transparent banking services had previously repatriated in two tranches £140 million pounds of the loot.

The Europe Correspondent of the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports on Monday in London that the money was laundered on behalf of Abacha by Raj Bhojwani an Indian businessman.

Bhojwani is currently serving an eight year sentence in a UK prison.

Speaking on Jersey’s financial services and global perception of the Island, Birt said that the repatriated loot was in line with ongoing campaign against money laundering.

“We have done a lot to clean up the image of the Island as a safe haven for stolen wealth.”

“What we have in place is a transparent and legal finance heaven where only legal funds can be deposited and accessed by investors,” Birt said.

In his response Tafida commended Birt for the Islands transparent banking sector, and informed them of government’s commitment to
fighting corruption and strengthening its anti-graft agencies.

The high commissioner also spoke on the investment opportunities in all sectors of the economy, while laying emphasis on the nation’s GDP, and high return on investment rate.

Nigeria’s GDP has grown above 6.5 per cent per annul in the last six years.

” The array of investment opportunities that abound in the country and generous incentives available to investors in all sectors of the economy, has continued to make it a global investment destination,” he stressed.

The dinner was attended by top officials from the Jersey government and members of Tafida’s delegation.

NAN reports that the visit marks the beginning of bi-lateral relations with the Jersey.

Officials from Jersey are expected to carry out a similar visit to Nigeria.

Prof Wole Soyinka likens GEJ to Biblical King Nebuchadnezzar, presidency reacts


Nobel Laureate, Prof Wole Soyinka today likened Pres. Jonathan to the biblical Babylonian autocrat, King Nebuchadnezzar.

While speaking at a press conference at the Freedom Park in Lagos today, with the theme: “King Nebuchadnezzar – the reign of impunity,” Prof Wole Soyinka said Pres. Jonathan’s administration has become known for lawlessness and that Nigerians have been thrown into the furnace of fire just like Shedrack, Mishak and Abednego were thrown into the furnace by Nebuchadnezzar for not bowing down to him.Choi! Lol. Continue to read what he said...

"You should easily recall why I opted for King Nebu – the figure that currently sits on the top of our political pile himself evoked it, albeit in a context that virtuously disclaimed any similarities, even tendencies. Perhaps he meant it at the time when he claimed: ‘I am not Nebuchadnezzar.’ Perhaps not. One judges leaders on acts however, not pronouncements, which are often as reliable as electoral promises. King Nebu remains relevant – and not only for leadership. We, the citizens, are beginning to feel the heat. We wake up each morning to a sensation that we have been cast into the furnace together with those who at least committed the crime of dissent or criticism".
Prof Soyinka also berated the Inspector General of Police for invading the National Assembly
"The recent choice of a new leader for the guard was clearly no accident, and this hitherto unknown enforcer, one Suleiman Abba, has wasted no time in inaugurating a season of brutish power. When a people’s elected emissaries are disenfranchised, cast out like vagrants and resort to scaling fences to engage in their designated functions, the people get the message”.
He applauded the lawmakers who scaled the National Assembly fence on November 20th, saying it wasn't a show of shame but rather the finest moments of the lawmakers.

In a swift reaction, the Special Assistant to President Jonathan on Public Affairs, Dr Doyin Okupe, described the submission of Prof Soyinka as unfortunate. According to Dr Okupe, "it is quite saddening to note that Prof Wole had become so close to the opposition party so much that he has stopped giving appreciable and unbiased contribution to national topics. Our eminent professor also sadly plays the ostrich as he failed to reprimand Governor Amaechi, who is the ‘national champion of impunity and official recklessness’. The administration of President Goodluck Jonathan prides itself as the most liberal, keeping faith with adherence to rule of law and tolerance,”.

He accused the Nobel laureate of ignoring what he termed the immoral, indefensible and unlawful attitude of the Speaker of the House of Representatives, Aminu Tambuwal, after his defection.

GOP staffer resigns over criticism of Obama daughters

Watch this video

A senior Republican staffer is resigning after her comments that the Obama daughters should "try showing a little class" caused a firestorm of criticism on social media this weekend.
Elizabeth Lauten, communications director for Tennessee Rep. Stephen Fincher, confirmed to CNN that she planned to resign Monday.

She faced heavy backlash when she wrote a Thanksgiving-Day screed against the Obama daughters, as well as the President and first lady, on Facebook that quickly went viral across the web. In it, she scolded Malia and Sasha Obama, 16 and 13 years old, respectively, for what she said was their inappropriate outfits and their bored looks during Wednesday's turkey pardoning ceremony, which they attended alongside their father.

Staffer out after first daughter comments

"Dear Sasha and Malia: I get you're both in those awful teen years, but you're a part of the First Family, try showing a little class. At least respect the part you play," Lauten wrote in the post.
"Then again, your mother and father don't respect their positions very much, or the nation for that matter," she added. "So I'm guessing you're coming up a little short in the 'good role model' department."

Lauten went on to tell them to "stretch yourself...rise to the occasion" and "act like being in the White House matters to you."
"Dress like you deserve respect, not a spot at a bar. And certainly don't make faces during televised, public events," she concluded.
Hours later, after her comments picked up steam on social media, Lauten deleted it and wrote another post apologizing for her comments.

White House Press Secretary Josh Earnest said during his briefing with reporters on Monday that while he was "taken aback" by her comments, he thought her apology was "appropriate."
"I was taken aback there was a political operative on Capitol Hill who did use the occastion of a Thanksgiving-themed event to criticize members of the First Family," Earnest said. "I was a bit surprised by that. But I will say that she has posted an apology to her website, and I think that was an appropriate thing to do."

Neither Fincher nor his chief of staff, Jessica Carter, responded to requests for comment via email.
But Lauten found few defenders this weekend, even drawing a rebuke from Republican National Committee Communications Director Sean Spicer via Twitter on Monday morning.
"Children, especially the first daughters, are off limits," he tweeted.
Spicer was far more displeased, however, with the way the comments were covered by the media than he was with the comments themselves.

"While the comments were inappropriate and insensitive, the mainstream media's coverage of this story is appalling. In over 20 years in politics I have never seen 1 of the countless inappropriate comments by Democrats ever covered to a faction of this," Spicer added.

Boy attacked by dogs discharged from hospital by father - Health Commissioner

The little boy, Omonigho Abraham, who was viciously attacked by two dogs in Lagos has been forcefully discharged from hospital by his dad, this is according to the Lagos State government who released a statement this morning explaining their side of the story. Omo has since been flown to India for treatment. Find what the Lagos State government posted on their Facebook page below...
Master Omonigho Abraham, the four year old boy who sustained extensive injuries to his body, and a life threatening injuries to his scalp following an attack by dogs has been discharged from Lagos State University Teaching Hospital (LASUTH) by his father against medical advice, Lagos State Commissioner for Health, Dr. Jide Idris, has said.

The Commissioner stated that all attempts to talk Mr. Odia Abraham, the father of the boy against taking this wrong step were rebuffed by him as he also signed necessary papers to show his desperation.

Omonigho was in the Burns & Plastics unit of LASUTH where he was receiving specialist treatment after a vicious dog attack at their rented apartment at 35, Adegboyega Street, Akesan, Igando area of Lagos State on the 29th of September 2014.

The Commissioner, who made the disclosure today while reviewing the report of the plastic surgery specialists in LASUTH who attended to Omonigho, stated that the boy’s father took ill-advised step and chose to take his son out of the hands of the specialists on Friday, 28th of November, 2014 against medical advice after being thoroughly counseled that healthy granulation tissue growing on his son’s skull must not be interrupted.

While explaining the involvement of the State government in the management of Omonigho’s health, Idris said that the attention of the present administration, particularly the Governor, was drawn to the case of the boy, who was initially rushed to the Igando General Hospital, where he was stabilized and wounds cleaned by the medical team at the Accidents & Emergency ward of the hospital.
The Commissioner added that Omonigho was thereafter referred to the Burns & Plastics unit of LASUTH where Specialists in Plastic Surgery assessed him and promptly began to manage the life threatening avulsion injuries on his scalp which left most of his skull exposed.
The plastic surgery team, he said, placed the boy on intravenous medication, fluids and daily wound dressing in order to ensure that healthy granulation tissue can grow and cover the scalp before a skin graft can be successfully performed, stressing that the definitive management of Omonigho’s type of extensive and deep wounds is a skin graft.

He emphasized that when news of the sad and outrageous event was brought to the notice of the Governor, Mr. Babatunde Raji Fashola, he immediately directed that young Omonigho be offered everything that will ensure that he did not only survive the injuries, but recovers optimally, so that the opportunity to reach his full potential is not tarnished by the unfortunate accident.
He also explained that the directive by the Governor ensured that Omonigho receives the best of care at no charge to his parents or family members and that Mr. Abraham, was thereafter invited to the State Ministry of Health where he received full re-imbursement for expenses he incurred previously in the management of the son’s health.

“He was given a full exemption from paying any fees for the management of his son’s health at LASUTH during his stay there and Omonigho while recovering wrote a little “thank you” letter to the Governor”, Idris noted.

He said while the boy was receiving care at LASUTH, he was also visited by the Deputy Governor, Mrs. Adejoke Orelope-Adefulire, who spent time with him and his parents to ensure that they were adequately taken care of, stressing that during her visit, she found young Omonigho to be clinically stable and doing very well.
Idris averred that whilst conservative wound management was being done in the Burns and Plastic Ward, in LASUTH, the State Government set plans in motion to take Omonigho abroad for further management, where all expenses incurred would be covered by the state government, and that this was communicated to his parents who had close and continuous contact with the Ministry of Health.

“After a thorough search, a suitable hospital was found that would care for the young boy. The chosen facility was the RAK Hospital, Dubai UAE. LASUTH established a communication channel with RAK Hospital and it was determined that Omonigho would require a meshed skin graft coverage of the exposed skull for the next phase of his management. The Governor thus approved the funds for the management of Omonigho, which includes traveling, feeding and accommodation at the RAK Hospital in Dubai, UAE”, the Commissioner stated.
He noted that the boy’s father was promptly informed of the plan and was invited to the State Ministry to discuss the details of the approval, travel plans and hospital arrangements, and was thereafter given a letter of approval stating the plans to fly his son abroad and was asked to provide his son’s passport with an accompanying family member in order to process visas and other travel requirements.

“However, Mr. Abraham informed us that a Non-Governmental Organisation from Delta State has made arrangements to fly him and his son for medical treatment at a hospital in India. He was counseled on the benefits of receiving the package offered by the Lagos State Government and was also advised to put forward his decision as soon as possible so that the necessary arrangements can be made to transfer his son and a family member of his choice to Dubai for the treatment”, the Commissioner noted.

He added that the State government, in an effort to ensure the best care possible for Omonigho, also offered to support Mr. Abraham if he would rather go to India, in the hope that he would be getting the best care possible from the unnamed hospital in India, being sponsored by the NGO.
The Commissioner however disclosed that Mr. Abraham, for reasons best known to him, chose to take his son out of the hands of the plastic surgery specialists in LASUTH on Friday, 28th of November, 2014 against medical advice.

According to him, “the surgical team explained to Mr. Abraham that it was pertinent that the healthy granulation tissue growing on his son’s skull through the careful, thorough and expert care of the Plastic Surgery team must not be interrupted as this may cause infections to set in, and slow the healing process, as well as, delay any definitive reconstructive surgery. But Mr. Abraham unfortunately, took the ill-advised step to leave the facility after being thoroughly counseled by the specialist”,

US discontinues training of Nigerian military at request of Nigerian govt

The US government has discontinued its training of the Nigerian military, according to a statement released yesterday, December 1st. US govt said it was terminating the third phase of the training which was designed to help build capacity for Nigerian military to counter Boko Haram activities, following a request by the Nigerian government.

The first two phases of the training was conducted in April and August this year. However with the termination of the military training, the US government says it would still continue its extensive bilateral security relationship with Nigeria despite the termination.

The US and other countries became more involved in the security apparatus of Nigeria after the Chibok girls were abducted in April. Find the US press statement above.

Kenyan Police Chief resigns over today's killings, interior minister fired

Following the killing of 36 people by terror group Al-Shabab this morning in a quarry in Mandera, North of Kenya, Kenya's National Police chief, David Kimaiyo has resigned.

After receiving the police chief's resignation letter, Kenyan president, Uhuru Kenyatta announced the dismissal of Kenya's Interior Minister with immediate effect.

According to AP, President Uhuru Kenyatta has named an opposition politician and retired army general, Joseph Nkaissery, as new Interior Minister, in charge of security.

Al Shabab terror group this morning invaded a quarry in Mandera, north of Kenya, separating the Christians from the Muslims and shot dead the ones who couldn't recite the Qur'an.

Two weeks ago, the terror group attacked a bus and killed 28 Christians.

Yacine Brahimi Defeats Vincent Enyeama to Win BBC African Footballer of the Year


Yacine Brahimi, 24-year-old Algerian midfielder has been named BBC African Footballer of the year 2014.

Many were rooting for Super Eagles goalkeeper, Vincent Enyeama to win the award. However, Enyeama along with Gabonese Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang and Ivorian pair Gervinho and Yaya Toure, lost to Brahimi, BBC reports.

Football fans from fans in 207 FIFA-registered countries participated in the voting process.

Speaking on winning the award, Brahimi says:

It’s a big honour for me to receive this wonderful trophy. I owe it to my country, Algeria, and to all the people who voted for me.

It’s also a trophy for the whole of Africa, because it rewards an African player. So I am really very happy.

Congrats to him!

Photo Credit: Getty Images

ISIS leader, al-Baghdadi's wife and daughter detained in Lebanon

The Lebanese army claim they have detained the wife and daughter of ISIS terror group leader, Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi as they crossed from Syria nine days ago.

According to Jerusalem Post, the woman identified as Saja al-Dulaimi, an Iraqi, was reportedly traveling with a fake passport when she was arrested and detained in coordination with "foreign intelligence", according to a senior Lebanese political source and security official.

A Lebanese security official said that a DNA test was conducted on the girl traveling with the woman to verify it was Baghdadi's child. It proved positive.

The arrest is a blow to the terror leader as the wife and daughter could be used against his group, especially as a bargaining chip. The terror group has captured many foreigners.

There is currently no immediate reaction from Islamic State websites.

Pres. Jonathan hosts CEOs of the Top 100 businesses in Nigeria

President Jonathan yesterday Dec. 1st hosted the Chairmen and CEOs of the Top 100 businesses in Nigeria at the Banquet Hall of the Presidential Villa, Abuja. The CEOs and their companies were recognized for their contribution towards making Nigeria the Largest economy in Africa.

Desmond Elliot Wins APC Primary Ticket to Contest for Lagos House of Assembly; Dayo Adeneye, Kenny St. Brown & more Lose Out


Desmond Elliot has reportedly emerged the candidate of the All Progressives Congress (APC) for the Lagos State House of Assembly election in 2015 after the APC primaries were carried out this afternoon.

Desmond Elliot won over Kabiru Lawal.

Also this afternoon it was announced that other entertainers Kenny Saint Brown and Dayo Adeneye lost out in their respective constituencies.

Kenny Saint Best lost out to Lai Mohammed‘s son, Folajimi Lai Mohammed for the Ikeja constituency while Dayo Adeneye lost out to Governor Amosun’s former SA on Education for the APC Odogbolu House of Assembly ticket.

There is no word yet on how entertainers 9ice, Tony Tetuila and others fared.

Chief Raymond Dokpesi resigns from AIT/DAAR, his son takes over


The founder of DAAR Communications - owners of AIT, Raypower, Faaji FM and more, Chief Raymond Dokpesi has resigned from the board of DAAR Communications Plc, to join politics.

He made it known last week at the company’s board of directors meeting in Abuja. He said;
“Please permit me to thank the entire members of the board of directors of DAAR Communications, the entire staff, viewers and listeners of all the DAAR communications stable, whether it is Raypower, AIT, Faaji FM and all the SBUs that were created during my tenure. I am going to be involved in the politics of the country and therefore I thought that AIT, Raypower, should be independent and people should not mistake my political aspiration or participation to mean the position of this organization."

His son, Raymond Dokpesi Jnr., has taken over as the new chairman. He stepped into his new shoes yedterday Monday Dec. 1 after his father's retirement took effect from Friday 28th November 2014.

52 Female Suicide Bombers Reportedly on the Loose in Maiduguri


A total of 52 female suicide bombers are reportedly on the loose in Maiduguri, Borno State.

ThisDay reports that the information was revealed by a member of a youth vigilante group.

The bombers are said to have been “commissioned to explode bombs at high density areas.”

Also, the source revealed that the vigilante group had made it difficult for insurgents to sneak into town due to frequent searches of vehicles and individuals arriving in the town. As a result, the terrorists have devised a new scheme to infiltrate the town – through female suicide bombers.

You will recall that last week, two female suicide bombers attacked a market in Maiduguri, killing over 35 people. And on Monday, another pair of female suicide bombers attacked Maiduguri Monday market, killing 6, and leaving 36 injured.

4 dead after men with knives, gun attack Jerusalem synagogue

Watch this video

A Jerusalem synagogue turned from peaceful sanctuary to house of horrors within moments Tuesday, after two Palestinian cousins wielding knives and a gun attacked during morning prayers.
Police responded within minutes, shooting and killing the attackers inside the synagogue in West Jerusalem's Har Nof area, said Israeli police spokesman Micky Rosenfeld.
But not before six people had been wounded, and three dual U.S.-Israeli citizens and a British-Israeli citizen had been killed.

The terror attack -- the deadliest in Jerusalem since a man with an automatic weapon killed eight seminary students in March 2008 -- came at a particularly tense time in the Israeli city, and the region at large. It follows a series of recent deadly stabbings and vehicle incidents that, while not the large-scale suicide bombings that defined last decade's second intifada or the rocket attacks from Gaza earlier this year, that have left Jerusalem on edge.

Aftermath of killings inside synagogue Attackers kill 4 at Jerusalem synagogue Palestinian reaction to synagogue attack IDF kills palestinian in West Bank clash
"While Israelis are a tough breed, repeated, totally unpredictable attacks are bound to take their toll," said David Harris, an expert with The Israel Project. "Is a mother going to allow her child to walk to school, to catch a bus to a movie theater or (ride a train) to visit a friend?"

After the attack, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's office vowed "we will respond with a heavy hand to the brutal murder of Jews who came to pray and were met by reprehensible murderers."

His spokesman Mark Regev told CNN's "New Day" that Israel's police presence will be beefed up, saying, "We've got to make sure there are no copycat attacks."
In the meantime, Israeli security forces took the offensive by moving into the slain attackers' East Jerusalem neighborhood of Jabel Mukaber, where they clashed with residents, police said. The Palestinians' official WAFA news agency reported 13 were arrested, including an al-Aqsa Mosque guard.

Netanyahu's office called the attack "the direct result of incitement being led by Hamas" and Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas, referring first to the Palestinian group that controls Gaza and next to the Fatah movement leader in control of the West Bank.
Abbas condemned the synagogue bloodshed, WAFA reported, while stressing the need to end the causes of such attacks like tensions over what Jews call the Temple Mount and Palestinians call al-Aqsa Mosque.

In comments later Tuesday to Israeli military recruits, Israel President Reuven Rivlin said Abbas "did well in condemning the attack," even as he insisted that the Palestinian leader must do more in acting "vigorously against incitement."
Yet in Gaza, Palestinians not only didn't condemn the attack, they celebrated it, according to the Jerusalem Post and photos shared by Israeli military spokesman Peter Lerner.
Hamas -- which has been at odds with Abbas and his Fatah movement -- did not claim responsibility for the bloodshed, though it didn't back away from it either. Sami Abu Zuhri, a spokesman for the group, instead linked the attack to the discovery Sunday of an Palestinian bus driver found hanged in his bus not far from where Tuesday's attack occurred.
Senior Hamas official Ghazi Hamad predicted to Al Jazeera International that "there will be more revolution in Jerusalem, and more uprising."

"Hamas in general supports action against the occupation," Hamad said. "Hamas supports any military action against the occupation anywhere it can be carried out."

Four rabbis killed
A holy book, prayers shawls, the floor and a wall splattered red. Lifeless bodies sprawled on a floor, a few feet from desks and books. A bloodstained cleaver. Toppled chairs, and a shattered pair of glasses.
Those grisly scenes show the horror inside the Jerusalem synagogue, a place where -- just before 7 a.m. -- was a place of calm and peace, where more than 10 people had come to pray.

Officials overseas such as British Foreign Secretary Philip Hammond strongly condemned the killings, and U.S. Ambassador to Israel Dan Shapiro called them "a barbaric new low in the sad and outrageous history of such attacks."

"There is and can be no justification for such attacks against innocent civilians," U.S. President Barack Obama said. "...At this sensitive moment in Jerusalem, it is all the more important for Israeli and Palestinian leaders and ordinary citizens to work cooperatively together to lower tensions, reject violence, and seek a path forward towards peace."

The four killed were all rabbis: Avraham Shmuel Goldberg, 58; Aryeh Kopinsky, 43; Moshe Twersky, 59; and Calman Levine. Goldberg was a dual British-Israeli citizen, and the other three were U.S.-Israeli citizens -- which is why the FBI is investigating the attack, according to a U.S. law enforcement official.

"When four great men, wonderful men, wise in Torah study, are slaughtered while praying in public, there is no public grieving greater than that," said a rabbi who eulogized the men later Tuesday, before their burial.
As to their attackers, police said that they were from East Jerusalem, where Palestinians can move more freely about the city than those living in Gaza, who must pass through stringent checkpoints.
Ma'an, a semi-official Palestinian news agency, identified the attackers as Ghassan Abu Jamal and his cousin Udayy.

Whether their actions were part of a coordinated campaign or a spontaneous reprisal, Tuesday's attack raises the specter of yet more violence against civilians.
The latest wave began earlier this year with the kidnapping of three Israeli teens, who were later found dead. Reprisal attacks, rocket fire and retaliatory airstrikes followed that incident, with more than 2,000 Palestinians and 67 Israelis reportedly killed after weeks of heavy fighting.
Much of the most recent unrest has been centered around Jerusalem. That includes the discovery of the body of Palestinian bus driver Yousuf al-Ramouni on Sunday, the same day an Israeli was stabbed with a screwdriver near central Jerusalem.
'There is no organization'

Last week, a 20-year-old was stabbed and killed in Tel Aviv, and three people were stabbed -- one fatally -- near the entrance to a settlement in the West Bank, the same spot where the three Israeli teens were kidnapped.
Analysts point out that large-scale violence has decreased in Jerusalem in recent years, partly because of increased security but also because Palestinian and Israeli leaders are cooperating behind the scenes.

But former Israeli National Security Adviser Maj. Gen. Yaakov Amidror said the recent acts of violence may be more difficult to stop than in the past because they seem to be carried out by individuals and not planned out and executed by a group.
"There is no organization behind it," he said, noting that all someone has to do is take a knife from their kitchen and attack. "... I don't see any measures that can be taken to stop an individual (like that)."

Hanan Ashrawi, a Palestinian legislator, told CNN that incidents such as the "lynching" of the bus driver "have provoked the Palestinians to the point where many of them are retaliating individually by resorting to violence."
Jerusalem Mayor Nir Barkat -- whose city is about two-thirds Jewish and one-third Arab -- said attacks like the one at the synagogue are "not just an Israeli problem."
"If the world doesn't unite against terrorism and give zero excuses for terrorism, this will haunt he world," he said. "This will happen everywhere in the world."

Akwa Ibom govt. sets up family court to tackle alleged child witchcraft

Justice Theresa Obot of the Akwa Ibom State High Court, said that the state government had set up a family court to tackle the increasing cases of child witchcraft in the state.


Obot told the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) on Sunday in Abuja that the court was created after a commission of enquiry set up to investigate allegations of child witchcraft concluded its assignment.
According to her, the court is set up to prosecute cases and allegations of child witchcraft in the state.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) recalls that the Commission of Enquiry was set up in Nov. 2010, following the rampant stigmatisation of children in the state for alleged witchcraft.
According to her, priority attention is being given to cases of child witchcraft in the state.
“We in the judiciary lay so much emphasis on the child witchcraft stigmatisation and the courts now make it a point of duty to address those issues.
“So when such cases come in, we try not to limit ourselves to only the punishment of alleged child witch, but also to provide counselling.

“Because in a family court, when a child and the parents have problems, we offer reconciliation,’’ Obot said.
She said, “anybody who says a child is a witch or wizard, he or she will be prosecuted, after which they will also receive counselling.
“So, that has helped to reduce incidences of child witchcraft in Akwa Ibom state.’’
“We are not saying that it is over, but so far the incidence has been reduced to the barest minimum.’’
Obot said the courts also recommend counselling for parents who stigmatised their children after they had been punished.

Obot commended the state government for its campaign to stop the stigmatisation of children over alleged witchcraft.
She noted that the state government was doing everything humanly possible to put an end to the issue by organising annual seminars on child rights laws and other related issues.

Source:Vanguard / (NAN)

ISIS announces its own currency

Islamic terror sect ISIS is planning to mint its own currency in gold, silver and copper: two gold, three silver and two copper.

Its aim is to stay away from the "tyrant's financial system," ISIS said in a statement broadcast on CNN. The group also said another statement will be out soon to explain the new currency's exchange rate, and where it can be found.

According to ISIS, "the move is purely dedicated to God and will remove Muslims from the global economic system that is based on satanic usury"
The wealthiest terror organisation, which calls itself the Islamic State, has seized large expanse of territory in Iraq and Syria and seeks to establish an Islamic caliphate there. 

Boko Haram: Nasir El-Rufai mocks President Jonathan with cartoon


The former minister mocked the Federal Government's handling of the Boko Haram crisis with the cartoon above. Hilarious but serious issues.

"I will be Nigerian President in 2015"- Governor Rochas Okorocha

For those who don't know, Imo State Governor, Rochas Okorocha, is contesting in next year's presidential election. Below is what he said during his declaration at a rally on Monday Nov. 10th.
“My people, in 2015 I will be the president of the country. Three months ago when I said I want to be president they asked, “Can an Igboman be president? But now when they count those contesting for president they will first count Rochas Okorocha, before Buhari, Atiku Abubakar and Kwankwaso. When they said they have zoned the presidency to the North, I asked, When was the meeting held? Now we have zoned it to Igboland. In 2015, there will be a turnaround in the fortunes of Ndigbo. They only know themselves; they don’t care about Igbo. APC is an emergency party for a new Nigeria; I would not have joined APC if PDP was doing well. We will defeat PDP in 2015,”

Boko Haram: 13,000 Nigerians take refuge in Cameroon- UN report

According to a report released on November 11th by the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR), 13,000 Nigerians fled from Nigeria to Cameroon in October after the attack and capture of Mubi town in Adamawa state by Boko Haram members.

According to the report, which you can find heresome 13,000 Nigerian refugees mostly women and children, fled Mubi town in over 300 vehicles and settled in towns of Guider and Gashiga in the North region of Cameroun and to Bourha, Mogode and Boukoula in the Far North of Cameroon.

Although some Cameroonian nationals say most of the Nigerians that arrived their villages have returned to Nigeria and have settled at the refugee camps set up in Yola, the Adamawa state capital, the UNHCR say it is investigating claims that those who returned to Nigeria were forcefully sent back  
"We are also examining claims that some of these refugees may have been forced to return to Nigeria. We are seeking assurances from both Nigeria and Cameroun that the return of these people was done on a voluntary basis. Cameroun is hosting thousands of refugees from Nigeria and Central African Republic and we encourage Cameroon to continue with its policy of welcoming refugees,” UNHCR said.

Photos: Dayo Adeneye's declaration for Ogun state House of Assembly

TV/Radio broadcaster Dayo Adeneye officially declared for the Ogun state House of Assembly in Odogbolu . Congratulations to him.

Pictures of The Magnificent IBOM Stadium in Uyo set to launch tomorrow

The beautiful city of Uyo is the perfect setting for the opening of a new chapter in the history of sports in Nigeria. Come tomorrow Nov. 7, the Governor of Akwa Ibom State, Godwin Akpabio, will lead the government and people of Akwa Ibom state in opening the Akwa Ibom International Stadium aptly nicknamed the Nest of Champions.
he truly amazing sporting edifice is an Olympic Sized stadium is a 30,000 capacity ultra modern complex that is already regarded as the best in the West African region and compared with South Africa’s Soccer city.

Modelled after the Allianz Arena in Germany, the home ground of reigning German Champions Bayern Munich, the Stadium boasts 4 -tier, covered, seating terrace,  all-natural grass, high-tech floodlights and security cameras, 36 emergency exits, bullet proof VVIP and VIP along with other ultra-modern facilities.

Gov. Fashola Declares November 7th Work Free Day in Lagos for PVC Collection for Public Servants


Governor Babatunde Fashola of Lagos State on Wednesday declared November 7th as work free day for public servants in the state to enable them to collect their Permanent Voter Cards (PVC).

Fashola, in a state broadcast, said that: “November 7th shall be a work free day in order to enable workers to carry out this civic duty and exercise their civic rights”.

He appealed to residents to seize the opportunity to ensure they collect their PVCs and register at a polling unit close to their homes.

NAN reports that the collection of PVCs will begin in Lagos on Friday and will end on November 9th, while fresh registration will take place from November 13th to November 17th.

The governor also urged employers of labour in the state to be flexible and accommodating to allow workers to close early on Friday.

“It is all for our collective good,” he said.

Fashola also advised residents of 18 years and above to take advantage of INEC’s issuance of PVC in Lagos.

He said the collection of PVCs meant that the process for elections had started.

“Yes, election is a process, starting from voter’s registration to balloting, to announcement of results and to elections petitions and swearing-in of elected persons.

 “So, for the avoidance of any doubt, elections have started.

 “In order for our democracy to be truly representative, it must be participatory, which means that everybody who is 18 years old from today is eligible to vote in the next elections.

“However, participation imposes a duty on all of us, if we must have a say in the elections.

“The first duty is to register as a voter to be eligible to vote on balloting day next year.

“This is the time when we must take that civic duty very seriously by making the sacrifice by finding the time, by making the efforts to ensure that our names are still on the voters’ register”.

Fashola, however, decried the shortfall of about 1.5 million in the number of voters recorded for the state by INEC.

He said that this was an attempt by the electoral body to disenfranchise about 1.5 million voters, describing the action as strange.

The governor demanded an explanation from INEC on the reason about 6.3 million registered voters recorded for Lagos during 2011 elections could be reduced to 4.8 million names.

“This is strange; it is surprising and I believe INEC owes the people of Lagos State a lot of answers and very quickly too,” he said.

Leke Pitan, a former Commissioner for Health in Lagos, urged Lagos residents to troop out en-mass to collect their cards.

Pitan, who is also a governorship aspirant on the platform of the All Progressives Congress (APC), made the plea in a statement signed by his Press Secretary, Afolayan Adebiyi.

He urged them to avail themselves of the opportunity provided by INEC to exercise their franchise.

‘‘Your destiny lies in your hand and this time around, your voter’s card is your destiny.

“This gives you the privilege to vote for whoever you want to lead you,” he said.

The former commissioner also advised residents not to register where they work or trade to allow them to participate effectively in the elections.

After 13 years, World Trade Centre Reopens (Photos)


13 years after the 9/11 attack, the World Trade Center is re-opening for business & has been renamed One World Trade Center.

Standing at 541 meters with 104 floors, it is officially America’s tallest building and cost $3.9 billion to put the skyscraper together. One of the first tenants, publishing giant Conde Nast started moving in yesterday, Anna Wintour, the editor of Vogue, is said to be moving to the 25th floor with her staff, while Vanity Fair editor, Graydon Carter, has chosen the 41st floor. An official opening ceremony date is yet to be fixed.

The old twin buildings went down on September 11, 2001 after it was hit by two planes hijacked by terrorist group, al-Queda. See more pics of the new structure below:

      First Tenant Conde Nast Moves Into New World Trade Center

 Photo Credit : Getty Images, Associated Press

Afghan Deputy Governor Shot Dead During a University Class

                               Kandahar Deputy Givernor
                                                        Abdul Qadim-Patyal

Afghan officials said on Monday in Kabul that Abdul Qadim-Patyal, Deputy Governor of Kandahar Province in southern Afghanistan was shot dead during a university class at Kandahar university.

Dawa Menapal, Provincial Official, said the gunman entered the classroom where Qadim-Patyal, was receiving lecture on Sunday night and opened fire on him while he was listening to the teacher’s lecture.

Menapal said that the killer had escaped.

President Ashraf Ghani condemned the attack.

Patyal was in his last semester in the education faculty of Kandahar University where he was studying in night classes.

Russia dismantles Apple statue after CEO comes out as gay


 A human-sized iPhone statue featuring a screen that displays a photo and video tribute to Apple Inc founder, Steve Jobs, which was erected in St Petersburg, Russia in 2013, was dismantled by the people who put it up, a day after Apple CEO, Tim Cook, came out as gay.

The Russian group of companies that erected the monument released a statement today saying it was taken down on Friday Oct. 31st, because they needed to abide by 'a law combating gay propaganda".

Internet lusts after new mugshot guy

Jeremy Meeks, left, and Sean Kory, right, have received attention for their mugshots.
Jeremy Meeks, left, and Sean Kory, right, have received attention for their mugshots.

Oh, those cheekbones, those piercing eyes, that hint of danger.
Move over, Jeremy Meeks, there's a new bad boy in town when it comes to lawbreakers the Internet lusts after.

You might remember Meeks, the California man who -- despite a rap sheet littered with charges related to gang membership, firearm possession and grand theft -- became a viral sensation in June because of his attractive mugshot.

Now, Sean Kory has stolen the social media spotlight after his alleged Halloween escapades and subsequent police photograph.

Police in Santa Cruz, California,said the 29-year-old dreadlocked man attacked a person dressed as a Fox News reporter during the city's downtown festivities on October 31.
Kory "attacked the victim telling him he 'hates Fox News' " and then "grabbed the victim's microphone and placed (it) down the front of his pants and proceeded to rub the microphone on his crotch," according to the police report.
Police said Kory then attacked the victim with an aluminum tennis racquet. The victim was not injured and reported the incident to police, who chased down the fleeing Kory, the report continued.

Kory's mugshot sparked numerous reactions on Twitter, many from women praising his looks or comparing him to Meeks.

Kory wasn't the only Halloween reveler to get in trouble in Santa Cruz over the weekend. Among the other notable mischief makers in the coastal California city was a resident dressed as Edward Scissorhands who got a little too into character and was cited "for mutilation of city trees."

Meanwhile, as much of the Internet glorifies criminal behavior, we'll be over here trying to get a sexy humanitarian portrait to go viral.

If I saw him in the street, I would run him over so I could tend to his wounds @lebophoo

Renewed clashes grip Burkina Faso amid calls for calm

Watch this video

Protesters demanding that the newly installed military government step aside clashed with security forces in Burkina Faso's capital on Sunday as regional leaders pleaded for calm.
After the resignation of President Blaise Compaore -- who himself faced violent protests over his desire to extend his 27-year rule -- Burkina Faso's military took power.

On Sunday, a huge crowd gathered in Ouagadougou, protesting the military government and demanding the return to constitutional rule.
Gunfire erupted during clashes between the protesters and security forces near the location of the state news television channel, local journalist Ouezen Louis Oulon told CNN.

On Saturday, the military consolidated its support behind Lt. Col. Isaac Yacouba Zida, who will serve as interim President until elections can be held.
On Sunday, as the protests renewed, the African Union and the Economic Community of West African States called for peace and an orderly transition to democracy.
Compaore resigned as President after initially vowing to stay until elections could be held, despite violent protests to his desire to extend his lengthy rule.

His decision to step down "opens the necessary political space for all the stakeholders to work together to find a lasting resolution to the crisis facing the country," the head of the African Union, Dr. Nkosazana Dlamini-Zuma, said in a statement.
The African Union's Peace and Security Council will hold a meeting on Monday to discuss the crisis in Burkina Faso.

Dlamini-Zuma said she prefers an agreement that will lead to a civilian-led transition toward elections for a new government.
She called on Burkina Faso's military to place themselves at the disposal of civilian authorities.
ECOWAS Chairman John Dramani Mahama offered a more general assessment, calling for all parties to "work in the overall interest of the people of Burkina Faso in order to guarantee peace and stability in the region."

Demonstrators last week stormed Parliament, setting fire to the building. The protests came amid rising discontent about the high cost of living and Compaore's attempts to amend the country's constitution to help him extend his term.
Compaore had been in office since he took power after a bloody coup in 1987.

The country was formerly known as the Republic of Upper Volta when it was established in 1958 as a self-governing colony under France.

SA goal keeper shot dead at girlfriend's house laid to rest

27 year old South Africa national team captain and goal keeper Senzo Meyiwa, who was shot dead at his girlfriend's home by unknown gunmen last Sunday October 25th, was laid to rest today November 1st at the Heroes Acre Chesterfield cemetery - an honor that is usually reserved for outstanding figures from the struggle against apartheid.

About 30,000 South Africans gathered at the Moses Mabhida Stadium to bid the goalkeeper farewell. The funeral comes a day after it was announced that a suspect has been arrested and charged for his murder. He is survived by three children. May his soul rest in peace.

More pictures below:

IBB returns from Germany after 2 months

Former military Head of State, General Ibrahim Badamasi Babangida (IBB), who left Nigeria on Sept. 6, arrived the country yesterday November 1st after undergoing surgery in a German hospital.

IBB arrived at the Minna airport by 2.50 pm in a chartered flight and was received by Mohammed and Halima, his children, as well as some government officials, his close friends and associates. He was dressed in blue kaftan with gray stripes, left the airport for his hilltop house, Minna in a BMW car and arrived at 3:15 pm into the waiting hands of four of his grand children. 

In a short interview with journalists, when asked if the pressure will not be too much for him with 2015 politicking, IBB said that he had been following the political developments in Nigeria while in Germany, and added that, “I missed all of you that welcomed me, especially my local champions (journalists). I look forward to all of you, to seat and chat with you and talk about politics as we always do. For now, I want to rest.”

Julius Agwu Steps Downs from 2015 Campaign for Rivers State Governorship Position

                         Julius Agwu - August 2014 - 01

After declaring his intentions to run for the Governorship position in Rivers state 3 months ago, ace comedian Julius Agwu has reportedly stepped down from contesting for the seat of the governor of the state.

According to a statement released by Julius Agwu’s manager Prince Sunday Uwem, “There was a meeting (Thursday, October 30) between Julius Agwu and his kinsmen from Ikwere, and it was agreed that he should step down from the governorship race because the current Governor Rotimi Amaechi is his friend and they are both from the same area. They’ll want the position to rotate to another part of the state and Julius Agwu has decided to listen to his people and withdraw from contesting.”

This announcement is coming a few days after Julius Agwu insinuated that he had been getting calls from certain political groups who were pressuring him to join them so as to guarantee his success in politics.

According to NETng, there is still a chance of Julius Agwu running for other political positions in the future.

Drinker stabs barman for looking at him and his girlfriend

                                                   Simeon Tenebe
                                                             Simeon Tenebe

A barman, who works in a hotel located on Obokun Avenue, in the Ojodu area of Lagos, is battling with wounds he sustained during an ‘unprovoked’ attack by a customer.

PUNCH Metro learnt that the alleged attacker, Kelvin Friday, a resident of Ojodu-Abiodun, Ogun State, allegedly stabbed the barman, who he accused of staring at him and his girlfriend.

It was gathered that Friday and his girlfriend, whose name had yet to be ascertained, had gone to drink in the hotel around 6pm on October 21, when the incident happened.

The victim, Simeon Tenebe, claimed he was brooding on an issue he had discussed with his sister earlier in the day when the 25-year-old man confronted him. He added that Friday interpreted his stare for rebuke and challenged him to a scuffle.

Friday reportedly smashed the bottle of beer he was drinking on the barman, inflicting injuries on his face and head. His girlfriend, it was learnt, fled the scene when Tenebe started bleeding.

Prior to the incident, it was said that Friday had accused the barman of being unpleasant while attending to him and his girlfriend.

Our correspondent also gathered that Tenebe reported the incident to the police, who arrested the suspect and charged him to an Ikeja Magistrate’s Court for assault.

The prosecutor, Inspector Chinalu Uwadione, brought him before the Magistrate, Mrs. O.A. Akinde, on one count of assault to which he pleaded not guilty.

The charge reads, “That you, Kelvin Friday, 25, on October 21, 2014 at about 6pm at Obokun Avenue, Ojodu in the Ikeja Magisterial District unlawfully used a bottle on the head and face of one Simeon Tenebe and inflicted injuries, to wit grievous harm and thereby committed an offence punishable under Section 243 (1) Vol. 44, No. 2 Law of Lagos State, 2011.”

Akinde admitted the defendant to bail in the sum of N100, 000 with two sureties in like sum.

“The sureties must present evidence of tax payment, means of livelihood and deposit N20, 000 to the account of the chief registrar. Their addresses must also be verified by the prosecutor,” she added.

Ex-deputy governor survives boat mishap, as four die


A former Deputy Governor of Bayelsa State, Peremobowei Ebebi, has survived a boat accident but unfortunately, four others were not as lucky as they drowned.

Ebebi was among the passengers in the boat that capsized in the Ekeremor Local Government Area of the state on Saturday after the state’s ward congress of the Peoples Democratic Party.

The boat mishap reportedly claimed the lives of four persons including an operative of the Department of State Service.

However, fresh facts emerged on Sunday that if not for the timely intervention of the locals, Ebebi would have also died in the boat mishap.

The DSS officer, before the incident, was attached to the office of the state Project Monitoring Department located along Imgbi Road, Bayelsa State.

He was said to have escorted the Head of the Department, Mr. Ball Oyarede -who is aspiring for a seat in the state House of Assembly – to Ekeremor LGA for the just concluded ward congress of the PDP.

Oyarede, a former Commissioner for Lands and Housing and former state Representative, Niger Delta Development Commission, is the Special Adviser to the Governor on Special Duties.

It was learnt that while returning from the ward congress on a boat the DSS officer and Ebebi boarded at the Ekeremor Town jetty, it overturned before taking off and emptied its contents into the water.

Sources at the jetty said the scramble to rescue Ebebi led to the death of the DSS officer and three others.

One of the sources who pleaded anonymity attributed the cause of the capsize to overloading.

According to him, the boat was loaded beyond its capacity which forced it to tilt and eventually turn upside down.

He said, “Most of the dead victims were trapped in the enclosed compartment of the boat when it capsized. Immediately the incident happened, the villagers who were at the jetty dived into the water in search of Ebebi.

“Eventually, when they lifted him, he had taken in so much water and was unconscious. He was later revived. But before help could come the way of other victims, they had drowned.”

The source also said that the victims were not wearing life jackets when the incident occurred.

He confirmed that the bodies of the dead casualties were immediately recovered by local divers and were brought to Yenagoa on Saturday.

It was gathered that a crane was later hired to remove the capsized boat.

When contacted, the state Director, DSS, Mr. La’san Baba, said the service had yet to confirm the death of its officer.

Mubi battle: Army arrests six senior officers for fleeing

                                  Nigeria Defence spokesman, Major General Chris Olukolade

                              Nigeria Defence spokesman, Major General Chris Olukolade

Six military commanders, including an injured Lieutenant Colonel, have been arrested by the military for withdrawing from Mararaba, Michika, Madagali, Mubi and later Vimtim when Boko Haram insurgents attacked the communities last week.

It was learnt that   an unspecified number of soldiers were also in detention for allegedly abandoning the communities, thereby making easy for the insurgents to have an upper hand.

A reliable military source, who made this known in Abuja on Sunday said   the movement of five of the commanders had been restricted to the officers mess in a military formation.

The source, who did not name the military formation, because of security reason, added that “one of them, a Leutenant Colonel   is receiving treatment at the MRS in Yola for   serious injuries he sustained when the car in which he was escaping with somersaulted several times.”

He said the injured officer   would join his colleagues in the officers mess on recovery.

Our source said, “Today (Sunday), the military authorities arrested five   commanders around the Mubi axis of Adamawa State. The sixth is a Lt. Col.

“Some of those arrested were at Mararaba, Madagali, Michika and other locations. I think the military leaders are saying that the soldiers did not resist the Boko Haram when they invaded the place.”

Our source explained that the Defence authorities had already commenced investigations into the activities of all its personnel in relation with the capture of Mubi, the second largest town in Adamawa State and other supposedly “fortified locations,” including Vimtim, the home town of the Chief of Defence Staff, Alex Badeh.

The insurgents had reportedly burnt Badeh’s residence, a clinic and a civic centre in the community on Thursday.

The source explained that the military authorities were determined to find out why the Boko Haram’s advance in the state was not resisted by the troops.

He said the military   chiefs   were of the opinion that the “tactical withdrawal” of the soldiers from their   positions was nothing but a “display of indiscipline and cowardice which   would not be tolerated.”

Our correspondents gathered that it was the military authority’s conviction that enough weapons and men were deployed in Mubi and other locations to frustrate the any attack by the insurgents.

On Thursday, the Minister of Defence, Lt.Gen. Aliyu Gusau; the Chief of Defence Staff, Air Chief Marshal Alex Badeh and the Chief of Army Staff, Lt. Gen Kenneth Minimah, declined to speak with journalists on issues relating to the capture of Mubi and the other communities by the insurgents.

When   contacted on the issue, the Director of Defence Information, Maj.-Gen Chris Olukolade, said, “Anyone found to have undermined the ongoing operation will face appropriate sanctions and this is well known to all military personnel.”

Another source, who confided in one of our correspondents, said soldiers had a grueling encounter on Sunday with insurgents at Bladeba about one and half kilometers from Mubi.

He said   the soldiers were able to take over some of the checkpoints captured by the insurgents.

It was   also learnt that some of the insurgents   in control of Mubi were moving towards Hildi   to avoid aerial bombardments.

NLC knocks IG for withdrawing Tambuwal’s security aides

                                  Acting Inspector-General of Police, Suleiman Abba
                                         Acting Inspector-General of Police, Suleiman Abba

he Nigeria Labour Congress has described the withdrawal of the security details attached to the Speaker of the House of Representatives, Alhaji Aminu Tambuwal, by the Inspector-General of Police, Mr. Suleiman Abba, over his defection to the All Progressives Congress, as shameful.

The General- Secretary of the NLC, Dr. Peter Ozo-Eson, also described the decision as unconstitutional in an electronic mail to our correspondent on Sunday.

The NLC leadership warned that nothing should happen to the Speaker over the withdrawal of the police details attached to his office as a result of political developments.

Ozo-Eson said that it was not stated in the constitution that the Speaker must be elected from the majority party in the House of Representatives.

He cited the example of Chief Edwin Ume-Ezeoke of the defunct Nigeria’s Peoples Party who was elected Speaker of the House of Representatives in the Second Republic, when the disbanded National Party of Nigeria was the ruling party and the Unity Party of Nigeria was the main opposition in the country.

The NLC scribe also wondered why the security details of the governors of Borno and Ondo states, Ali Modu Sherriff and Olusegun Mimiko, respectively, were not withdrawn when they defected to the PDP.

“We, at the Nigeria Labour Congress, are appalled by the withdrawal of security details of the Speaker of the House of Representatives, Alhaji Aminu Tambuwal, ostensibly because he had defected to the All Progressives Congress.

“The act is shameful, distasteful, unconstitutional, and demonstrates our parochial sense of power and very little knowledge of history. No part of the constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria says the Speaker of the House of Representatives should come from the majority party. Section 50(1)(b) only says, “There shall be …a Speaker and a Deputy Speaker of the House of Representatives, who shall be elected by the members of that House from among themselves…

“In the Second Republic, the Honourable Speaker of the House of Representatives, Chief Edwin Ume-Ezeoke, was elected from the ranks of the Nigeria Peoples Party, not just an opposition party but the third after the UPN and the NPN. We have other precedents across the world.

“We find it appropriate to cite the examples of Mimiko and Ali Modu-Sheriff, governor of Ondo State and former governor of Borno states respectively. Their security details were not withdrawn when they defected to the Peoples Democratic Party.

“We would like to be on record that we will not fold our hands while little minds threaten our hard-earned democracy. Nothing should happen to Tambuwal.”

The NLC demanded immediate restoration of the security details of Tambuwal, stressing that the issue was beyond the person of the Speaker but his office.

Ozo-Eson, who criticised the police and the security agencies involved in the saga, said that the action of the security agencies only brought to the fore the demand of the congress for strong institutions in the society.

“The police and other security agencies involved in this disgusting conduct should hold their heads in shame. Herein lies the essence of strong institutions, which we have always advocated.

“For those who take pleasure in converting to personal use, public/state institutions, they should remember that today’s men will soon become yesterday’s men. What goes around, comes around.”

Source: Saharareport

Governor Suntai heads to UK for further treatment


Governor Danbaba Suntai of Taraba State who has been sick for a while, is returning to the UK for further medical treatment today, a few weeks after he returned from treatment in the UK.

Governor Suntai was involved in a plane crash near Yola Airport in Adamawa State in October 2012, in which he was the pilot. Since then he's been in and out of hospitals in Germany, US and the UK.

Chief Press Secretary to the acting governor, Kefas Sule, confirmed last night that the state govt had made all necessary arrangements for Suntai’s return for medication.
“I can confirm to you that governor Suntai would be returning to London for further medication and the state government is footing the bill for the trip which includes a chartered flight to the UK”, he said.
The governor, who is expected to leave the country aboard a chartered aircraft, would be accompanied by his wife, Hauwa; his personal physician, Dr Kara; some family members and other personal aides.

Panic at MMIA as Ebola victim arrives Nigeria


There was panic yesterday at the Murtala Mohammed International Airport, MMIA, Lagos as a Nigerian, who had already been cured of Ebola Virus Disease in Sierra Leone arrived aboard Royal Air Maroc.

The ebola victim, Mr. Theophilus Onnakhinon, was flown from Sierra Leone by the airline while his younger brother, Mr. Chinedu Eroka was said to have absconded from the Sierra Leonean authorities. It was not however clear why Eroka absconded.

A source close to the Port Health at the Lagos Airport confided in aviation reporters yesterday that the victim had already been treated of Ebola virus in Sierra Leone and cured of the disease by the health authorities of that country after some weeks in their custody.

The source who doesn’t want to be named as he was not allowed to talk to the media on the issue said that the victim was assisted into the country by the Nigeria’s consular officer, Mrs. T. Mohammed.
According to the source, the consular officer accompanied the victim into the country in order to avoid stigmatization by the Nigerian health officials and other authorities at the airport.

On arrival in Nigeria, the victim was immediately handed over to the Port Health officials at the Lagos airport who immediately isolated and quarantined him.
As at the time of filing this report, the victim was said to still being observed by the Port Health officials.

The source said that the essence of his being quarantined in the country was for the Nigerian officials to also check his health status and confirm that he was free of the disease before being released to the public.

The source said, “It is true that there was Ebola scare at the Lagos airport today, (yesterday) but the fact is that the victim had been cured of the disease in Sierra Leone before being assisted into Nigeria by our consular officer in that country and immediately he landed, he was handed over to the port health authorities who immediately carried out checks on him and isolated him from the other passengers.

“But, the truth is that we just want to recheck what has already been done by the Sierra Leonean authorities. You know, we cannot take chances again in the country. I can assure you that the situation is under control.”

However, the Port health services at the Lagos Airport have declined to comment on the issue and directed our enquiry to the Ministry of Health.

Diezani Madueke's sister rescued after 8 days in kidnapper's den

The sister of Petroleum Minister Diezani Alison-Madueke, Osiya Agama has been rescued by police in Port Harcourt eight days after she was kidnapped.

Mrs Agama was kidnapped by unknown gunmen on her way from an evening church on Tuesday October 21, at Leventis Bus-Stop along Port Harcourt-Aba Road, as she approached her car.  

The police said yesterday that she has been rescued. A text message from the Rivers State Police Public Relations Officer, Mr. Ahmad Mohammad, stated that she was rescued during a joint operation by the Police, Military And Operatives of the State Security Service.
The text reads;
“This is to inform you that Osiya Agama has been safely rescued during a joint operation by the Police, Military and the State Security Service. Two Suspects Were Arrested”.
The text didn't say where she was rescued from. Thank God she is okay.

Messi and Ronaldo top FIFA World Player of the Year 2014 list

 World Football governing body, FIFA today October 28th released its Ballon D'or list for the 2013/2014 season aand usual nominees Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi top the list. Only one African made the list, Yaya Toure from Ivory Coast. See the full list after the cut and tell us who think should win this year...

2014 FIFA Ballon d'Or shortlist:
Gareth Bale (Wales)
Karim Benzema (France)
Diego Costa (Spain)
Thibaut Courtois (Belgium)
Cristiano Ronaldo (Portugal)
Angel Di Maria (Argentina)
Mario Gotze (Germany)
Eden Hazard (Belgium)
Zlatan Ibrahimovic (Sweden)
Andres Iniesta (Spain)
Toni Kroos (Germany)
Philipp Lahm (Germany)
Javier Mascherano (Argentina)
Lionel Messi (Argentina)
Thomas Muller (Germany)
Manuel Neuer (Germany)
Neymar (Brazil)
Paul Pogba (France)
Sergio Ramos (Spain)
Arjen Robben (Netherlands)
James Rodriguez (Colombia)
Bastian Schweinsteiger (Germany)
Yaya Toure (Ivory Coast)

Zambia's New President with The Obamas


Guy Scott (pictured above with his wife and the Obamas) was sworn in today as the interim president of Zambia following the death of Zambian president Michael Sata yesterday Oct. 28th. This makes Mr Scott, who is of Scottish descent but born in Zambia, the first white president in Africa since apartheid.

Guy Scott, 70, became vice-president of Zambia in 2011 and will serve as interim-president pending when the country holds fresh elections for a new president within 90 days. The Zambian constitution makes it impossible for Scott to be president because his parents were not born in Zambia.

British-Nigerian Woman, 24, Dies in Thailand after Botched Buttocks Enhancement Surgery

                                             Joy Williams

A 24-year-old British-Nigerian woman died in Thailand after a cheap plastic surgery procedure to increase the size of her bottom went horribly wrong.

The woman, Joy Williams, is from Thamesmead London, but was born in Lagos, Nigeria, The Telegraph reports.

According to reports, she traveled to Bangkok earlier this month for the £2,000 buttock augmentation procedure. The operation entails putting silicone implants into the patient’s buttocks.

After the surgery was conducted on October 14th, Williams’ wounds became infected, causing her to be in excruciating pain. She then returned to the hospital to get the implants removed. She died during the operation.

The doctor who performed the surgery, Sompob Sansiri has now been charged with “causing her death by negligence.”

Williams is said to have struggled with self-esteem issues, and had previously had plastic surgery on her nose.

One of her friends told investigators that:

“She was a very bright girl and did well at school. She was a bit shy and quiet and I knew in later years there was something wrong and upsetting her.

“At school she had been bullied over her appearance and she went for surgery on her nose and face. Last time I saw her it was obvious she had had cosmetic surgery. She was fine before, she didn’t need to. She was fine the way she was but she just wasn’t happy. She had no self esteem and I guess she felt she needed to do it. She was just never happy with herself.”

President Dilma Rousseff wins re-election in Brazil

Watch this video

Brazilian President Dilma Rousseff won a hotly contested runoff election on Sunday.

With more than 99% of votes counted, the incumbent Rousseff had 51.59% of the vote, according to official results. Opposition candidate Aecio Neves garnered 48.41%.
Neves said he called to congratulate Rousseff, who thanked voters on Twitter late Sunday for their support.

The election was one of the tightest competitions in recent years.

Before becoming the country's first female president in 2011, Rousseff, from the Workers' Party, was chief of staff to former President Lula da Silva.
She claims that under the presidencies of her predecessor and herself, masses of Brazilians have risen out of poverty.

Rousseff, 66, presided over the soccer World Cup in Brazil. She took a lot of political flack over how public money was spent.

The President defeated Neves, a 54-year-old economist, who is a well-known name and a career politician. His campaign slogan promised reforms to lower inflation and encourage more investment in the country: "The sure path for Brazil to really change."

The pro-business candidate belongs to the Brazilian Social Democratic Party, one of the country's strongest.
Boko Haram kidnaps 30 in northeast Nigeria

Watch this video

Boko Haram gunmen kidnapped at least 30 boys and girls from a village in northeast Nigeria during the weekend.
The abductions appear to be the latest in a string of recent kidnappings by Boko Haram that dims hope for the anticipated release of 219 schoolgirls ‎held by the group since April following a controversial ceasefire declared by Nigerian authorities.

Heavily armed Boko Haram gunmen invaded the town of Mafa in Borno state Friday and Saturday and seized 30 boys and girls, local leaders said.

The news of the kidnappings was slow to emerge due to lack of telecom service in the region, where most telecom towers have been destroyed in Boko Haram's five-year insurgency against Nigeria's government.

"‎In the past two days Boko Haram insurgents stormed Mafa and abducted 30 boys aged 13 and above and girls aged 11 and above," Mafa local government chairman Shettima Maina said.

Nigeria's challenges Boko Haram hostages freed in Cameroon He kept fighting for missing girls
"They took them away to their base in the bush, and we believe they are going to use them as foot soldiers," Maina said.

Mallam Ashiekh Mustapha, the local chief of Mafa who confirmed the abductions, said the kidnappers also stole 300 cows from the farming community in the raid.
The Nigerian government has said Boko Haram has denied involvement in the kidnappings, but the group has issued no public statement on the issue.
Regardless, Boko Haram's near-daily raids have prompted an exodus of residents from Mafa and nearby villages to the Borno state capital of Maiduguri to escape the marauding insurgents, Mustapha said.

On Thursday Boko Haram killed 17 people in the nearby village of Ndongo, which they looted and set ablaze, Maina said.
"Many people have fled with their families to Maiduguri for fear of being killed or losing their children to the insurgents," Mustapha said.
Maina lamented that the military had done nothing to stop the raids despite repeated complaints by local leaders.

Last week Boko Haram militia kidnapped 60 women and girls in two Christian villages in neighboring Adamawa state, according to residents and community leaders.


Popular posts from this blog

More photos from Lightup concepts